PHOENIX BLOCK, Borough of Danielson, Town of Killingly, 1896. The Phoenix Building originally accommodated the First National Bank of Killingly and the Windham County National Bank. Space was rented to an organ salesman and New York Fruit Store. The block included five stores and seven offices. Other stores have included Lord's Shoe Store, Henry McEwen's Jewelry Store, Alan Clothes, A.E. Meech Hardware, Sherwin Williams Paint Company, Pierre Boulaine Fancy Groceries, and Specialty Fruit Store. (Courtesy of Gilbert Poirier)
The Phoenix Building is a cornerstone of the Danielson Main Street Historic District, which is located in Killingly, CT. Constructed c1896, the two-story 20,800SF brick building is of the Renaissance Revival style, retaining a 4-bay façade, with bays separated by stone-banded brick piers. Windows with jack-arch heads, recessed-brick crosses in frieze, projecting cornice with dentils and mutules are contributing factors of its historical status. Storefronts offer original cast-iron columns and sheet-metal cornices, with tin ceiling interior finishes.
A horse-drawn carriage in front of the Phoenix Building c1900.
FW Woolworth Co.store as a tenant on the 1st Floor
Sign up to learn about leasing opportunities.
Copyright © 2020 Phoenix on Main - All Rights Reserved.